Nine strategies to support your Sikh student
- Learn the correct pronunciation of your Sikh student’s name.
- Know the common misconceptions that surround your Sikh student’s identity and traditions.
- Teach respect by openly voicing zero tolerance for identity- related bullying of Sikh students.
- Be familiar with the language/terminology associated with your Sikh student’s identity.
- Know how to tie a Sikh student’s ‘Patka’ (needed in elementary school)
- Include your Sikh student in sports, choir and theater to showcase his or her talent.
- Advocate the inclusion of the Kaur Foundation’s Cultural Safari and other materials in your school
- Encourage peers and teachers to attend teacher training sessions offered by Kaur Foundation.
- Plan a visit with your students to Gurdwara (Sikh house of worship) close to you.
Kaur Foundation is producing a documentary about the history of Sikhs in America, that targets high school and college students. This project is a work in progress. Sign-up to be the first to know when this new resource is launched!